Well friends, today I am officially 30 years old. And I have to be honest, I’m not entirely sure how to feel about it yet. By this age I always saw myself in a different place, down a different path. But I suppose that’s the fun of life– you never really know where it’ll take you or where you’ll end up despite all the plans you make. So now, in my wise old age, I thought I’d share a few things I’ve learned along the way as well as my goals for the next year of my life. I also thought I’d share some behind the scenes snippets of how I got the photo above since it involved Ryan and I moving balloons through the NYC subway system to get to the perfect mural.
I spent my 20’s taking chances, moving around, and really going full force into my career. I experienced highs and lows, love and loss, and I don’t regret one bit of it. Here’s a little of what I learned:
1. Family is key. Whether it’s your birth given family, or the family you’ve chosen, having people that love and support you makes all the difference in the world. Hold them close and let them know what they mean to you often. Seriously, go text your parents or BFF right now.
2. Don’t be afraid to fail. Everybody experiences failure and sometimes things don’t turn out according to plan. Whatever. It’s really not the end of the world. Don’t let the hypothetical scare you away from your dreams.
3. Be kind. Life is hard enough, there’s no reason to tear one another down. A fun tip– it helps to imagine that everyone who is a jerk in traffic just realllllllyyyy has to go to the bathroom.
4. Be cautious of who you give your time to. Your time is the most value thing in the world and shouldn’t be given just because it’s convenient. If you’re finding that the people in your life are negative or not supporting you, consider a change. It’s amazing what a difference positivity and encouragement makes.
5. Don’t be afraid to be silly. Make an ass out of yourself every now and then. Dance, sing, karaoke, have fun. Strangers care about you less than you think. Continue reading…