If it isn’t clear by now, I’m a firm believer that everyone should have more color in their homes and in their lives. But it isn’t the easiest to go from neutrals to colors. It took me years and years of experimentation to really figure out how to pull it all together. And rather than overwhelm you by telling you how to decorate your entire home all at once, let’s start with a few easy tips you can apply to your bedroom!
5 Ways to Add Color to Any Bedroom
1. Bright Accent Pillows. Because of the affordability and flexibility, this is a great place to start. Remember, you can swap pillowcases out faster than you can a larger furniture piece. Experiment with bolder colors and shades than you use traditionally to help you get out of your comfort zone. For our bed, I chose a very bright pink and it gives me so much joy.
2. Give existing furniture a makeover. No need to rush out and buy all new items for your space, especially when you’re just starting on your colorful journey. Take a look around at what you already have and consider giving it a colorful makeover! I had a basic wood piece from Ikea, painted it pink, and added brass hardware for an easy dresser makeover. Once you settle on colors you love and know you want in your home for years and years to come, then start to shop for investment pieces.
3. Lamps that Brighten. Lamps are another great low-risk way to add color to any space. Bases are super customizable, because you can give them a colorful pop with just a coat or two of spray paint. To go the extra colorful mile, dye your lampshade with this easy DIY project.
4. Bold Bed Frames. I know this idea can be overwhelming if you you aren’t already decorating with color, but as someone who went from a grey bed frame to this teal one… DO IT! I’ve found that having the colorful bed frame changes the feel of the room. Save your neutrals for your side tables instead.
5. When in doubt, add art! Art has the ability to tie everything together. If most of your room is neutral, go for a larger piece to be your central color pop. If your space is already colorful, be sure to pick colors that compliment what you already have in the space. You also don’t have to spend a fortune on art! I made my own art (pictured above) as a creative challenge and it tied in all the colors of our bedroom.
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!
PS For more ways to add color to your bedroom, check out my book Hello Color