Anddddd I’m back with another Ikea hack! I actually started this project last year when I was working on my custom Ikea Desk. Between the hutch, desk, and wardrobe, these are definitely the largest projects I’ve taken on. I’ve always wanted to incorporate larger DIYS in our home, so when we moved, updating + adding furniture pieces was the best way to do that. And it turns out, it’s a little easier than I thought it would be!
This four part series is all about our bedroom and how I customized a Pax wardrobe unit to help with our storage problem. Over the next few weeks there’s going to be paint, the WRONG color paint, and a little wallpaper. I can’t wait for you to see more. Let’s jump right into part one of our DIY Ikea PAX Closet:
The Storage Issue
Like I’ve mentioned before, the apartment that we moved into was built in 1846. As a result, we’ve been trying to find work arounds for the limited storage space that we have. Our bedroom closet couldn’t fit all of my clothes, let alone Ryan’s too. And I consider myself a bit of a fashion minimalist, so it’s not as if we could just downsize.
The one thing we do have in our bedroom, however, is space. The layout of our bedroom and living room are roughly the same size which really is a NYC blessing. So instead of trying to customize the closet that we have, we decided it would be best to add a free standing wardrobe. And that led us to… making a DIY Ikea Pax closet.
Why the Pax Unit?
A few different reasons led us to picking the Pax for our storage issue. And while getting two of them was a bit of an investment, especially for a DIY, we’re so happy we went for it! We could’ve just gotten an extra clothing rack, which is fine, but we wanted to be able to hide our clutter. The Pax also allows us to store more items than just clothing. There’s room for accessories, shoes, storage boxes, etc.
The Pax also happened to be the one wardrobe that was in stock that fit our space perfectly. Because we had no place to put our clothes, we couldn’t officially unpack until we had a storage solution. So the price point was worth it. Another bonus was that I already had the supplies needed to paint the unit since I had leftovers from my desk project. I knew what it would take going into the project so it was a lot easier.
At the end of the day, it was the perfect solution for our storage problem. It just needed a bit of color and personality for our home.
[You can build a mock up on Ikea’s website so you know exactly what to get and what it’ll look like!]
So that’s it for part one! Be sure to check back in next week because I’ll be sharing what color we chose as well as a sneak peak at the wallpaper detail to come!