Time: 30 minutes
Materials: photo of yourself, shrinky dink paper, thin black sharpie, colored sharpies
1. Take a photo of yourself or your keychain subject, as if you are hanging on. Try to stand on your tip toes, so that it appears as if you are dangling.
2. Print your photo out, and place it under a sheet of Shrinky Dink paper. Carefully trace your photo, focusing only on key details (since it will be shrinking so much, too many details will look muddy.)
3. Flip your Shrinky Dink paper over, and color in your drawing using colored Sharpies. It’s important that you turn it over, because if you color on the same side you traced the outline on, the colored Sharpie will go over top of the black lines, and they will disappear. This also keeps everything much cleaner when coloring in the facial details.
4. Cut out your Shrinky Dink, as close as you can without cutting your black lines. Leave a large clear space around the hand, big enough to punch a hole into.
5. Punch a hole near the hand.
6. Bake according to Shrinky Dink packaging, usually 2-3 minutes at 325 degrees. Make sure to flatten your Shrinky Dink out as soon as you remove it from the oven, so it doesn’t curl up.
7. Attach a key ring to it and give it to someone you love!
More from Aly-
Over at my blog, I post tons of art projects, as well as DIY’s. My husband and I are currently renovating our kitchen by ourselves, making as much as we can by hand and buying cheap anything else that we may need. We recently DIYed our butcher block countertops from scratch, using old office doors that we purchased for $60.