A few of you noticed this from last week’s make your own art project, but YES! The pink dresser is in fact a DIY! I’ve always wanted a colorful dresser and somehow was able to convince Ryan to let me go pink when discussing our bedroom makeover…thank god we’re getting married! Since our budget is tight (that wedding is not going to pay for itself), instead of splurging on a designer dresser, I decided to give a classic Ikea one a makeover. Here’s how: Continue reading…
Lately I’ve been toying with the idea of giving a few rooms in our apartment a makeover. I suppose it’s because we have yet to really get our home in that place where I feel satisfied with the decor. Though I’m beginning to think that feeling doesn’t exist (someone please tell me that it does!). One thing that I’m finding with all my research, aka endlessly browsing Pinterest, is that a good and fashionable chair tends to be way over budget, at least for what I’m looking to spend.
Another finding is that it’s completely possible to makeover a basic chair with a few simple DIY methods. There are so many ways to turn a boring piece of furniture into a quality statement piece for your home, that I just had to roundup a few of my favorites. Here are ten diy chair makeovers I fell in love with:
1. Painted Chair Makeover by Sugar & Cloth
2. Mod Podge Chair Makeover by Emily Henderson
3. Recovered Mid Century Chair by Hello Lidy
4. Cross Stitch Chair by My Poppet
Time: 12.5 hours (because of dry time)
Materials: wood slab*, hairpin legs*, wood screws, polyurethane sealer, sponge brush, drill + drill bits, Intel Tablet
And the results are in! While I wish I could have made all of the choices I shared last week, I decided to make Emily Henderson’s wood slab table. The project is pretty straight forward, but I have a few tips and tricks!
In my previous post, I showed a bit of the behind the scenes and how I used my Intel Tablet to help plan this project. I was a bit nervous that the measurement feature would lead me astray, but I’m happy to report that everything turned out perfectly! Because of it’s RealSense technology, all I had to do to plan the project was take a photo. From there, I chose the two points I wanted to measure between, and it gave me the length (in this case, between the space between the bed/window). It also helped to have the tablet nearby when I was working so that I could consult the original tutorial before beginning. Well that, and watch Netflix. We all do that, right?
One of the main tips I can give is that you need to protect your wood, especially if this is a piece you want to keep in your house for a while. Wood cracks, and bugs like wood, so it could be problematic later on if left untreated. I used a polyurethane interior sealer, which is why this project takes so long (just dry time).
Apply one coat and let dry for 2 hours. Come back and then do 2-3 additional coats. When dry, you’ll also want to coat the other side as well as the sides.
Another thing that needs to be stressed is that while a self driving screw is handy, you need to pre-drill your holes beforehand. You do so with a drill bit that’s roughly the same side as your screw. If you don’t do this, your screw won’t really go anywhere and there’s a chance it will break.
#spon: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Intel. This could include the Intel Corporation providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment.
Time: ~4 hours
Materials: ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape Multi-Surface with Advanced Edge-Lock™ Paint Line Protector 2093EL, sander, Behr® Marquee™ Paint, Wooster® Pro 4.5” x 3/8” Shed-Resistant Knit Cage Frame Mini Roller and Wooster® Pro 2” Nylon Thin Angle Brush
It’s hard to believe I took this table home with me from the thrift store, but what can I say, I’m a sucker for a makeover project. After some basic TLC, all this table really needed was a fresh coat of paint. So naturally my first stop after leaving the store was to head to The Home Depot to gather everything I needed.
To prep the surface for painting, I peeled the existing paper as much as I could, then sanded the rest. Continue reading…