Before moving to Philadelphia, I got rid of a lot of things. And I mean a lot. It felt great to let go of those items that no longer brought me joy before starting over in a new place. If you’re in the process of moving, or just want to clean out some space in your home for a fresh start this year, here are five services that will help you declutter your home (and possibly make you some cash in the process).
1. thredUP– A way to sell those unwanted clothes. They mail you a bag, you fill it up, and send it in. They’re a bit picky about things, but shipping is free, so you aren’t out anything! Anything they don’t want, they will donate or mail back to you for a fee.
2. OfferUp– A Craigslist type of app for your phone. You take a picture of the item you want to sell, list it in your area, and people will contact you (through the app). There are safety features and a rating system so you can easily identify flakes.
3. Bookbyte– for text books you no longer want. Type in the ISBN before sending to see how much you will make. Shipping is also free so you don’t have to worry about paying for heavy books. If you’re looking to sell non-text books, Powell’s also takes books by mail.
4. Move Loot– A marketplace to both buy and sell used furniture. You snap a picture and if they want to sell it, they’ll come pick it up from your home and handle everything else.
5. Bonanza– essentially an eBay alternative with free listings and distributors.
I’d love to know, how do you get rid of your unwanted stuff?